Privacy Notice for PeaceCon2018
Effective Date: 12 October 2018
Our goal is to provide you with the information you need to enjoy and learn about PeaceCon and to build new connections with other participants. If you have any questions or concerns at any time, please contact us at the address below.
What Information Do We Collect
We may collect the following kinds of information when you register for PeaceCon, complete session feedback, answer survey questions, check into a session, contact us about PeaceCon, or use the App:
- contact information, such as your name, email address, mobile phone number, and mailing address;
- registration information, such as your photograph, username, and password;
- biographical information, including your biographical summary, position, company, and social media and website links;
- your interests, preferences, feedback, and survey responses;
- messages you send to other participants and panelists through the App;
- the content of your posts to group discussions and activity feed posts; and
- any other information you choose to provide to us.
We may combine such information with information we already have about you.
We may also receive information about you from other sources, including through third-party services and organizations. For example, if you access third-party services, such as Facebook, Google, LinkedIn, or Twitter to share your experiences at PeaceCon with others, we may collect information from these third-party services
We may also collect certain information automatically when you register, visit the PeaceCon website, or use the App, such as your Internet protocol (IP) address, device and advertising identifiers, browser type, operating system, Internet service provider, pages that you visit before and after using the Sites, the date and time of your visit, information about the links you click, the pages you view, the general manner in which you navigate our website or App, and other standard server log information.
PeaceCon is not intended for children under the age of 13 and we do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13 without parental consent, unless permitted by law.
How Do We Use Your Information?
We generally use the information we collect for PeaceCon:
- to verify your identity and understand who is attending PeaceCon;
- to provide, improve, and tailor PeaceCon and your experience at PeaceCon, including with respect to the App and your activities at PeaceCon;
- to conduct research activities in accordance with our mission;
- to manage customer service interactions and any registered account(s) that you hold with us;
- to contact you regarding PeaceCon, including announcements and messages through the App;
- to prevent potentially prohibited or illegal activities, including for crime and fraud prevention or detection; and
- for any other purposes disclosed to you at the time we collect your information or pursuant to your consent.
Who might we share your information with?
Service providers and suppliers
In order to make certain PeaceCon services available to you, we may need to share your information with some of our service providers, including our registration and App provider. These service providers are subject to appropriate contractual data security controls.
Legal purposes & business transfers
We may disclose your information when we believe that the disclosure is required by law, including to comply with a judicial order served on us or when we receive a request from law enforcement authorities. We may also disclose your information to protect and defend the rights, interests, health, safety, and security of the Alliance for Peacebuilding, our users, or the public, or in connection with a substantial corporate transaction, such as the sale of a website, merger, or in the unlikely event of a bankruptcy.
With your consent
We may also share your information for any other purposes disclosed to you at the time we collect the information or pursuant to your consent or direction.
International transfers & Data processing?
If you are registering for PeaceCon or using the App from outside the United States, please be aware that you are sending information to the United States where our servers are located. The United States may not have the same data protection laws as the country in which you initially provided the information.
To the extent the Alliance for Peacebuilding’s activities are subject to international data protection laws that specify limited legal grounds to process your information, we rely on the following legal grounds: conclusion or performance of a contract; for legitimate interests of the Alliance for Peacebuilding or third parties (including the promotion and development of our services and preventing potentially prohibited or illegal activities); compliance with legal obligations; where necessary for public interest grounds, or to protect your or others’ vital interests; or on the basis of your consent.
How do we secure and protect your information?
We are committed to data security. We take reasonable steps to protect your information through integrated physical, technological and administrative safeguards. You should understand that no data storage system or transmission of data over the Internet or any other public network can be guaranteed to be 100 percent secure
The security measures we have implemented for PeaceCon include, but are not limited to:
- Secure, off-site back-up for data storage;
- Storing personal information and other data separately.
- Software encryption of App data utilizing HTTPS and encryption software;
- Secure servers that require secure, single-user passwords;
- Access to personal information is granted only on a need-to-know basis, and de-identified when used for reporting, research, and event improvement purposes.
- We retain your information for the period necessary for the purposes set out in this Notice, and in accordance with applicable laws.
What choices and rights do you have?
As described above, you may be able to refuse or disable cookies by adjusting your web browser settings. You may also opt out of certain communications relating to PeaceCon by contacting us using the contact information below.
To the extent provided by the law of your jurisdiction, you may have certain rights as a data subject under local law. For example, local law may afford you the right to access, update, erase, port, and/or correct inaccuracies in your information under our control, subject to certain exceptions prescribed by law. To exercise these rights, please contact us using the contact information below. If you are aware of changes or inaccuracies in your information under our control, you should inform us of such changes so that our records may be updated or corrected. Where provided by law, you may at any time withdraw any consent you previously provided to us (without affecting the lawfulness of processing based on consent before its withdrawal) or restrict or object to the processing of your information, and we will apply your preferences going forward. If you consider that our processing of your information infringes applicable law, you may lodge a complaint with a competent supervisory authority, which, if you are resident in the European Union, may be the authority in your country of residence or employment.
Changes to this notice
We may update this Notice from time to time. When we update the Notice, we will revise the “Effective Date” above and post the new Privacy Notice. We recommend that you review the Notice each time you visit the website or App to stay informed of our privacy practices.
For any inquiries concerning this Notice, please email email@example.com